Volltext-Downloads (blau) und Frontdoor-Views (grau)

Impact of PEF (Pulsed Electric Fields) on Olive Oil Yield and Quality

  • Olive oil holds significant importance in the European diet and is renowned globally for its sensory attributes and health benefits. The effectiveness of producing olive oil is greatly influenced by factors like the maturity and type of olives used, as well as the milling techniques employed. Generally, mechanical methods can extract approximately 80% of the oil contained in the olives. The rest 20% of the oil remains in the olive waste generated at the end of the process. Additionally, significant amounts of bioactive compounds like polyphenols are also lost in the olive pomace. Traditionally, heat treatment, enzymes, and other chemicals are used for the enhancement of oil extraction; however, this approach may impact the quality of olive oil. Therefore, new technology, such as pulsed electric field (PEF), is of great benefit for nonthermal yield and quality improvements.

Download full text files

Export metadata

Additional Services

Search Google Scholar


Author:Oleksii ParniakovORCiD, Sam David Hopper, Stefan TöpflORCiD
Title (English):Impact of PEF (Pulsed Electric Fields) on Olive Oil Yield and Quality
Parent Title (English):New Discoveries in the Ripening Processes
Place of publication:London
Document Type:Part of a Book
Year of Completion:2023
Release Date:2024/04/11
Tag:Bioactives; EVOO; Electroporation; Extraction; Olives; PEF
Page Number:11
Faculties:Fakultät AuL
DDC classes:600 Technik, Medizin, angewandte Wissenschaften / 610 Medizin, Gesundheit
Review Status:Peer Reviewed
Licence (German):License LogoCreative Commons - CC BY - Namensnennung 4.0 International